Thursday, May 17, 2012

Summer Reading

So a few weeks ago, I made the greatest discovery/mistake for my wallet of all time.

McCay's Used Books.

This heaven on earth is two stories of used books, CDs, video games, and records. For cheap.

The other day I was feeling a little low so I did what any normal nerd would do... I went to find a book. Now mind you when I say "a book", that means 5 or more. I decided to dive deep into this magical land of discarded wonders and thoroughly scoured every single aisle that day. I was there for 2 hours and amazingly enough, managed to control myself and purchase only 9 books. I didn't even go upstairs to the CD's and records (pats self on back). So with these 9 books I figured I'd start my summer reading list. These will definitely not last me the whole span of the season, but it's a good start. So far here's what's on the list.


  • My Horizontal Life - Chelsea Handler (I'm already 2/3s through this bad boy. HILARIOUS read)
  • The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald  (For some odd reason I never had to read this one in school)
  • The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (I've heard from multiple sources this is a good one)
  • Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk (Anything by him is a surefire winner)
  • Blue Angel - Francine Prose (This $1.50 treasure is a National Bestseller and was in the "we recommend" section)
  • Music For Torching - A.M. Homes (Last summer I read This Book Will Save Your Life by her and it was incredible, so hopefully this will be too!)
  • White Oleander - Janet Finch (This is a book I'm pretty sure every 15 year old girl has read, and I never did so I'm going to embrace the 9th grader in me on this one)
  • The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction - R.V. Cassill (This was a required book for a college course I took and I LOVED what was in it but lost it.. surprise surprise.. So this won't get read straight through but rather dabbled upon)
  • A Painted House - John Grisham (This will be a reread but it is so amazing and it's been so long I'm sure I'll enjoy it as much as the first time I read it)
So far that's where I start for this season of bookworming. I'd love ideas for any other must reads!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Munchkin,
    Please note that "The Time Traveler's Wife" and "Lullaby" are amaaaazing. Also, please pick up "The Art of Racing in the Rain." You will love it.

    xx,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete