Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pleasantries

I suppose an introduction is in order! This is the awkward time where I tell a bit about myself in hopes of captivating an audience to gain a following of loyal readers. Or more likely, a vomit of random facts and information pertaining to my likes and dislikes, hobbies, background, opinions, etc.  for entertainment value of myself if no one else. Here we go!


My name is Rachel. 


Well that's a good start right?


I just relocated to Nashville, TN from Richmond, VA where I've spent the last 21+ years of my life (I was born in New Jersey, but obviously don't remember). I moved here with the big dream of becoming a singing sensation, but more realistically to find who I am and become happier with my lifestyle and self perception. 


This is me!
In Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA

 
I am, as some would say, vertically challenged. In turn, hiding things from me for one's own amusement is a simple task for most. With this said, I will say that being small does not make it easy for me to go unseen. I am loud. I talk loud, I sing loud, I walk loud, I often knock things over making things AROUND me loud. Do not fear my friends, I am easy to find. 

Some would say I am an old soul. I like old things. Old music (mainly blues and classic rock), old people (they tell the best stories), old items (also known as antiques), old houses, etc. I find these things to have a charm that most new things don't usually have. Except for babies because they look like old men. 

I am a list maker. I will make a list about anything.  The following are topics of lists I usually have running in one notepad or another.

Songs to learn
Songs I like
Songs I can play
Song ideas
Albums to buy
Places to visit
People I want to attend my imaginary wedding
Places I've been
Concerts I've seen
Imaginary children's names
Quotes
Lists I should make

Yes. I have a list of lists to make.

I have a few obsessions in life. Let's explore.

I am obsessed with my iPhone. Six months ago, I used to hound my friends who were constantly on their devices. Glow faces. I take it all back! This amazing little gadget that I can keep in my pocket connects me with everything I'd ever want to be connected to and more. Facebook, Instagram, Hipstamatic, games, the weather.. EVERYTHING. Not to mention Siri, who finds me and takes me home when I get lost, which is on average about 6 times a week. I would probably have an anxiety attack and curl up in the fetal position if anything ever happened to my sweet precious iPhone. I love you iPhone. You are my best friend.

Books. Oh my sweet mother of pearl, books. I love text. I love the way text looks, the way you hear your own voice reading it to yourself in your head. I love fonts. I love cover art. I love smelling books. New books, old books, they all smell good. I like turning pages and the way it sounds. I love the satisfying feeling of finishing a book, the sigh I give when it's over. I love collecting books. In my dream house I will have a library with the comfiest couch known to man and floor to ceiling walls of books I have read, reread, and am going to read.

Here is a list of my favorite books. 

  • A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Leonard
  • Tuesdays With Morrie
  • Hunger Games,  Catching Fire, and Mockingjay
  • Anything by Harlan Coben
  • Anything by Christopher Moore
  • Apathy
  • Mammals (not for the optimistic type)
  • John Steinbeck. Enough said.
Now, this list could be an entire blog unto its own, so throughout this adventure I will throw out titles as they come to me. You'll be like, "ok, Rachel is talking about her dog and his bowel movements again..." and BAM. Book title.


Music. We will get there, but not right now.

My dog Benjamin. Most of my blogging will probably be about him, so he will get his full introduction at a later time, but to satiate your burning desire to see his precious face I have included a few photos below.



It's almost disgusting how much I love this dog, but he is my child. 

Piggy banks. I collect any piggy bank that is not in the shape of an actual pig. This obsession started about a year ago when I purchased my first collector of coins, a silver owl, appropriately named Hootie. Since then I have added to the collection a cheeseburger, a gold soda can, a box that opens up and a little kittycat snatches your money, an octopus, and a vintage globe. This is also part of my apocalypse savings plan, so that when the banks crash and no one can get there money, I WILL RISE AS POWER. Not really, but its a good way to hide money from myself. So far it has done me well.


Ok, enough about my prized possessions and such. More miscellaneous rantings to come!

Over and out. 


 



3 comments: